Saturday, September 26, 2009

Ambition, 1.0

While sorting recipes Sunday afternoon, I came across one for homemade ricotta. It was ridiculously easy: Heat a lot of milk, add some lemon juice, heat some more, skim out and drain the curds, voila!

Then, while trying to recall what I did with a particular homemade yogurt recipe, I found a different set of directions for homemade ricotta, this time using buttermilk. And I found another one in a back issue of another cooking magazine.They all promised simplicity and better-than-storebought taste. And the first recipe was linked to one for ricotta gnocchi, and what could be more inspiring than homemade gnocchi from homemade ricotta?

That first recipe said I would need to make a double-batch to have enough ricotta for the gnocchi. So I poured a gallon of whole milk and some salt into a stockpot, and set it over medium-high heat. It took forever to come to a simmer, but finally I was able to pour in the lemon juice.

Curds started to form almost immediately, and I was duly impressed. That is, until I realized that even simmering for the full two minutes wasn't going to produce quite as many curds as I expected. I skimmed them all out and drained them, and had maybe a cup of ricotta, not the 3 cups the recipe promised.


Where did I go wrong? Did I use too much milk to start with? Was the milk hot enough? Was it too hot?
I decided to jog back to the grocery store and try again, this time with a single batch. The same results -- I got only one-third of what I was supposed to.


Now, don't get me wrong. The little bit I got was pretty tasty, although somewhat more lemony than I'm used to. (Maybe the problem is my bottled lemon juice shortcut?) However, this method seems to be a colossal waste of milk for such a small yield.

That is, unless you plan to use the leftover milk in your tub...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

IIRC, my recipe calls for stirring for one minute after adding the lemon (mine calls for white vinegar), then removing from heat, covering with a towel and letting it sit for two hours. I've always had a ton of curds. (It then calls for scooping the curds into cheesecloth and letting them drain for a couple hours, IIRC.)

Anonymous said...

Er, that was Jacob posting.

Kryss said...

gf--bottled lemon juice = never a good idea. All the tartness with none of the flavor.

Shirley said...

I thought that sounded like Jacob!

Never made cheese so can't offer any insights.

Anonymous said...

Shirley, it's actually a lot of fun to make. Not that much work, but for some reason it gives me a tremendous amount of satisfaction. -- Jacob

Darienne said...

A friend just sent me this link -- what to do with whey: http://garlic-breath.blogspot.com/2008/04/way-too-much-whey.html