Sunday, October 4, 2009

Ambition, 2.0

I now have four different methods of making ricotta at home. My new ambition is to not just succeed at making this stuff, but to figure out which one is the best.

The version I tried this time is from Cook's Illustrated. Heat a gallon of whole milk to 185 degrees, remove from the heat, gently stir in 1/3 c. lemon juice, leave it alone for five minutes and then check to see if it separated into solid white curds and translucent whey. If not, add another tablespoon of lemon juice and wait; repeat until it separates. Drain in the fridge overnight. Result: About 3 1/2 cups of ricotta

Simple enough, right?


I heated the milk, with occasional stirring to keep the bottom from scorching (it did anyway). I poured in the lemon juice and let it sit for five minutes.


Some curds formed, maybe 3/4 c., but the liquid portion was still pretty opaque, so I added some more lemon juice and let it sit.

Then I repeated the process. And again. And one more time.


This time, I could see the whey becoming more translucent as I stirred in the juice. Five minutes later, I had a lot of curds and whey.



I let it drain in the fridge for a couple of hours -- it was the middle of the day, and we needed the colander. The texture was good, the flavor was good -- surprisingly less lemony than the last (failed) batch, despite having about five times as much juice.



Later I'll test it in the ricotta gnocchi I've had my eye on.

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Is it much better than storebought ricotta? Can't wait to see gnocchi!

Kryss said...

Love the blow-by-blow photos.