Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Crusty cooking

The last couple of weeks I fell out of the habit of trying new recipes. There was a week I was sick, then a period when we needed to fall back on speedy comfort food, and so on.

This week, the binder re-emerged. Actually, a new binder emerged, as I've been periodically sorting recipes by seasonal appropriateness, with a fifth binder for those recipes that really can be served any time of year. This binder has a larger proportion of desserts, I've noticed. It's also the go-to binder for this in-between period, when it's not spring yet but one is weary of winter. This recipe, for Parmesan and sage-crusted pork, comes from that binder.

It also originally comes from Cooking Light magazine a couple of years ago. (Why, yes, I do sometimes cook light.) I changed it slightly, so my adaptations follow.

First, dredge the pork in flour.


Then, in egg whites mixed with a little mustard. An interesting combination, I think.



Finally, coat it in a mixture of panko, grated parmesan cheese, too-coarsely chopped sage and some store-bought breadcrumbs. Someday, I will get around to making my own breadcrumbs, which so many professionals swear by. Seeing as I killed the can of store-bought breadcrumbs in this dish, that day may come sooner than later. In the meantime, I like the texture I get from combining panko and breadcrumbs.



Let the pork rest while heating a pan over medium heat, swirl in some canola oil, and then fry away. Meanwhile, I cooked a pot of polenta on the back burner, and mentally cursed the poor selection of green things at the grocery store this week.



THE VERDICT: I cooked the pork longer than suggested in the recipe to ensure it was cooked through. As a result, the crust was a little darker in spots than I would've liked for presentation. However, it was a really nice, crispy crust. Still, the whole thing didn't wow me. Will said, yeah, he'd eat it again, but he also didn't seem very enthusiastic (possibly because he's also not wild about soft polenta). The boys didn't say much at all, which makes it sort of in-between.
   I like the technique on the crust and the flavor combination. If I were to make it again, I'd either look for a thinner cut of pork or maybe even try it with chicken. But it's on the fence.



Parmesan and sage-crusted pork
(adapted from Cooking Light magazine)

4 boneless pork loin chops
3/4 c. panko
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1/4 to 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
6 or 7 large sage leaves, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

2 egg whites
1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
flour for dredging
1 Tbsp. canola oil

Trim fat from loin chops. Set aside.
Combine panko, bread crumbs, Parmesan and sage leaves in a wide bowl or plate. Add salt and pepper to taste.
In a separate wide bowl, whisk together egg whites and mustard.
Working with one chop at a time, dredge pork in flour, shake off excess. Then coat it in egg-mustard mixture, let excess drip off. Coat with panko mixture. Set aside.
Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add canola oil. Add the pork chops, cook 3 to 4 minutes each side until cooked through. Serve with polenta.

3 comments:

Will said...

Isn't the point of this exercise to have *fewer* freakin' binders?

Leah said...

Yes, it is. Five *is* fewer binders.

Shirley said...

I made rushy pork chops in the toaster oven today. I saw my can of breadcrumbs was almost empty, so I threw 3 slices of bread into the food processor. Should have toasted the crumbs, but no time.

So about how many recipes are in each binder?